Thursday, February 26, 2009

How's Dr. Jack sound?

I'm sure I mentioned this before, but it was so encouraging to see Brian, Abbie, and Karin use their medical skills to help the sick and hurting over here. I was able to shadow them in the hospital a little, and I even helped with a few things. It made me want to go to medical school so I could have another way to help people. They headed back to America today, but I feel like their impact will be echoing in the hospital for a long time. They were able to share their knowledge, as well as learn from the Zambians too (it certainly goes both ways). Not only did they provide medical help, but beyond that they were able to show compassion and love to the patients too.
I think the hardest part for them was the death they encountered. Especially the children. It's hard to watch a child die. It's hard to go long without being reminded of the death and desperation around here. I was reminded of it regularly as I visited the orphans at their homes over the past several days. But I wasn't discouraged by it, because it made the Hope Center that we're building seem so much more meaningful, a direct answer to one of the many problems around here. I'm so thankful for Brookside and Cornerstone deciding to act on a solution.
Two nights ago the District Commissioner had us all over for dinner. Comparatively, he's similar to a Mayor or a Governor, or somewhere in between. At the end of the night he was thanking us before we left, and he said, "because of you I have seen what is possible, I have seen hope." Hope has taken on a whole new meaning to me over here. I've seen people here who really need hope, and I've been seeing God inspiring hope in Serenje, and I know it will only grow from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment