Wednesday, December 24, 2008

My first Sunday in Africa

On Sunday we went to the local church while still out in the bush. After a 25 minute hike on a small trail, we arrived at the small one room church made up of brick walls and a grass roof. They were very excited to have us visit, some of the children never took their eyes off of me. My favorite part was the worship. We sang a few songs in English, and then some in their native tongue. It sounded really cool to hear them all sing together with no instruments, they had great harmony.
After Church we hiked back and had lunch at Zack’s friend’s home again. The menu was much better this time…grilled cheese. I enjoyed watching them cook in pans over hot coals on the front porch. We left in the afternoon to go back to Lusaka. We got more supplies and I got to use the internet for the first time. Zack (the guy from Cornerstone that’s heading up the construction) has been really helpful at explaining things and answering my endless questions, it’s been a great way to start my trip. I'm trying to be as prepared as possible for what I will be doing in Serenje, so Zack has been educating me on everything from construction to ministry. He's also helping me to understand the culture better too. We will be going out to Serenje tomorrow, I can’t wait! Serenje is where the orphanage is being built, and my new home for the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment